Sunday, May 15, 2011

Shopping for Weight Loss

Does every thing I do have to involve spending??!? Yes! Okay maybe not, but I have been suckered in, or misguided, or looking for a miracle, on numerous occasions. I have purchased a lot of weight loss toys. Here is my assessment of Tried and Not-So-True (to me anyway) weight loss products. Bear in mind, many of these products rely upon use by the  purchaser in order to work. My list, not in order of failure, is comprised of products and why they did not work for me. Most of the failures, but not all, are directly related to my hopes of quick,easy, effortless weight loss, not realizing quick, easy effortless means temporary or , in most cases, non-existent. Some of the failures are related to feeling my life was in danger when I used them while  with others my self esteem as a human being was at risk. I have a fear of  just looking ridiculous.

  I've looked everywhere for a photo of this first contraption to no avail. The best I can do is describe it. Please understand this is difficult for me because I feel stupid just describing it. I can't recall the name either, possibly selective memory loss. The "device" consisted of a wooden square about 1/2 inch thick, about the size of a bathroom scale. Seated atop the wooden square was a round cork board disc that would spin with movement. The idea was to stand on the round disc and "twist" from side to side; yes, just like Chubby Checker.

 This trinket did not work. I tried it twice. The first time, I fell off; the second time I felt stupid. Again, I feel stupid just thinking about it. It didn't work for me, and apparently it didn't work for Chubby.


Now another item in my list of goods I spent money on was an Ab Lounger. It really does work for some people. Apparently I am not one of those. Luckily for me, I purchased it shortly before I purchased a new house and was able to use it as a household chair until my furniture arrived. It was very comfortable as a recliner. It was ergonomically correct for me. It felt good just to lay around in/on it. It did not feel good to me when I used it. It felt like work. It was after this purchase that I realized a valuable lesson : do not pay others to make you work. That's just plain goofy.
Decisions.....Decisions
Duh.



Really? No. I am the master of my own thighs.
Enough said.














Richard Simmons Deal-a-Meal was another investment that failed me. Rather, I bought it and failed to use it.  Back in the day it was a pretty expensive kit. It came with a cool wallet and everything. I love Richard. Richard has helped a lot of people lose a lot of pounds. Imagine my feelings of failure when Richard could not help me. I couldn't even keep up with this:



I have some fitness equipment I do believe in and use. Again, many products and concepts work but the purchaser has to make more than a monetary investment. It seems through the years I had so many other  investments, too many balls on the tennis court of life, that I couldn't afford to invest in me. Maybe I should give poor Richard a second chance?!?

 Here is a link to one of my favorite websites and their most helpful take on fitness equipment:
                                                               SparkPeople
This website has a lot  to offer those who are looking for support, education, food and fitness trackers, and so much more.

1 comment:

  1. What a great post! I love Richard, too!

    After some introspection, I admit that my failed attempts include boxes of protein shakes (meal replacements), a yoga ball that rolls away every time it sees me, elastic bands that might work if they ever get out of the box, and a Schwinn Airdyne stationary bike that DOES work when it's not pretending to be a closet. Also, I'm pretty sure I have enough weights lying around to ensure even an F5 tornado couldn't pick up our house. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete