Saturday, May 7, 2011

Small Plates



  I have come to love small plates.  In the eighties the diameter of a dinner plate was only 10 inches and I managed to gain a lot of weight. Today's dinner plate is 12 inches. Imagine the possibilities!!
I use an 7-8 inch plate when possible. I find that an 8 inch plate is plenty large for a meal. I also love paper plates because it helps me avoid a prolonged kitchen clean up which can trigger snacking, and the ugly habit of "cleaning" other peoples' plates, usually  by scraping all the left-over food into my mouth. Once the left-overs are in the trash, they are off-limits although I vaguely recall a time when nothing was off limits, including partially eaten chicken drummies left by my kids. One of my favorite left-overs by others is dressing and mashed potatoes after a holiday meal. Sick, huh? Table to trash is the best way to go when breaking bad habits, and when dealing with the "just one more bite won't hurt" syndrome. It will hurt, especially when one becomes two becomes three, etc.




    I  like themed paper plates, or party plates. They make the meal more enjoyable for me, especially if they remind me of my goal: enjoying  the beach in a decent swimsuit. These cute plates are available at any party store, and online. The matching cups are great , too, for snacks. A seven ounce plastic or paper cup is perfect for cereal. One of these punch sized cups of cheerios and skim milk is only a  partial serving of the cereal or the milk, and is very satisfying.

   There are , of course occasions when a small paper plate is not appropriate, or available. In these cases, I have to have to prepare myself for a full size plate.  Preparing does not include meditation, prayer, or medication (I have tried each of those). Preparation for this trial is simply saying to myself (and listening!), and to others around me, "These plates are huge! Are they making them bigger these days? What do they think we are? Fat slobs? No one can each this much!" This sets my 12 inch plate up for scrutiny by all in attendance. Who wants to be a health-hypocrite? Not me.

So next time you are out and about, stop by a party supply store and stock up on party plates. If you buy them in the off-season, you can get really good deals and have enough to last until your goal is met, and you set a new goal.

One last suggestion: If you need an extra boost of willpower, a little extra incentive, pick up one of these at the party store and wear it while you eat, preferably in front of a mirror:

No comments:

Post a Comment