Wednesday, May 4, 2011

It's all about the cake hole

    I am an eater. I was raised in a restaurant family therefore I was totally into grease. Lard was my friend. I remember eating a paper  cup full of graham cracker meal from a barrel when I was about six. I licked  doughnut icing off  whatever surface it fell on when my dad was making the best doughnuts ever. I had the fortune of being raised alongside a soft serve ice cream machine. This environment must have had an effect on my mother because I recall seeing cans of "Sego" and "Metracal" in the fridge when I was looking for a stick of butter to spread on my bread which I then topped with sugar.
  Now, believe it or not, I was never a huge person, in spite of my exposure to trans fats before they were discovered. I was overweight as a child but not crippling  huge. I really slimmed down in my teenage years and college just by being entirely too busy to eat, and when I did eat, it was most unhealthy. Breakfast for me, in my senior year in high school consisted of a carton of Borden's Dutch Chocolate Milk, a bag of Nacho Cheese Doritos, and a Honey Bun. Oh God, I'm so hungry.
   After high school and college came marriage and children and numerous "diets", or "nutrition mishaps" as I prefer to call them now. The Grapefruit Diet was interesting. It involved eating grapefruit four times a day; three of those in the place of a meal, the fourth as a snack. I made it a full day on that one. I tried the hard boiled egg and banana diet; a hard boiled egg for three meals and a banana for a snack. Really? I lasted a day on that one also.  I tried an assortment of meal substitutes including fiber cookies. Several nurses eating fiber cookies on one shift can clog even the best of industrial toilets. I lasted a week or so on that one, but lost zero pounds. The cookies were good though. I tried a diet pill one time. I ate a lot faster that day, and even stayed up all night eating.
  Eventually I lost the baby weight from child number 1. On her first birthday,  I stepped on the scale and discovered I was finally at my pre-pregnancy weight. I immediately hopped off the scale and threw up my breakfast. Another bun was in the oven. Right away, within five minutes, I began eating for two again. It was such a relief!

1 comment:

  1. I never tried the grapefruit diet, but I did last two days on the cabbage diet before the headache caused me to vomit for two days. Maybe that was part of the weight loss plan? Ugh!

    Love love love this blog! :)

    ReplyDelete