Monday, May 9, 2011

First Meal of the Day



I titled this "First Meal of the Day" because the very word "breakfast" frightens some people. It may mean extra work, getting up early, or for some, having to stop smoking and drinking coffee (gee, I think I recall those days!) in order to eat. Personally, I have found that breakfast can make or break my success for the day.
 
 A good Breakfast for me is at the very least 300 calories but 350 is better! Below are some of the foods I like to have on hand to choose from. Protein is a must for me first thing in the morning but sometimes I need a few carbs for a quick start in addition. I usually eat my breakfast after I am at work and in the first meeting of the day. Often others are eating pastries, muffins, or a full breakfast. I try to always have the right choices  available in case I feel myself starting to wish I could eat five donuts. A Cinnabon bar or reduced fat cinnamon roll makes me happy in those situations!
                                                   

Protein sources
6 Old Wisconsin Turkey Bites                                               
Carnation Instant Breakfast  (CIB)SF w/ milk                                
8 oz Smart Balance FF Milk                                                 
1 Babybel Lite cheese                                                              
1 Sargento deli slice cheese reduced fat                                   
1 string cheese                                                                         
Turkey bacon (2)                                                              
Jimmy Dean turkey sausage patty
Peanut butter (around a tablespoon)
Hard boiled egg
Ham 2 or 3 slices
Low fat yogurt
Oatmeal, heart healthy serving
A few chopped walnuts (tablespoon max; ½ is better)

Fiber sources
Thomas Whole Wheat English muffin *
Toasted whole wheat Slimwich *
Special K Waffles *                                        
High Fiber low calorie bread (35 cals per slice, may have 2 slices; other breads 1 slice)

Carb sources but low cals
Cinnabon bar, caramel or regular*
Multigrain cheerios 3/4 cup *
Reduced fat cinnamon roll *

Basically I add three of the above listed items together and may add water filled fruit also, if calories are 300 or less, and even if they are more than 300 and I'm still hungry!

* Starred items are higher in carbs so I always balance with fruit and protein


These fruits are water plentiful, so I allow myself  more than one serving; good for controlled snacking (arrrghh....the "c" word)
Grapes
Tangerine
Kiwi
Orange slices
Canned fruits in water only, no added sugar
Pineapple
Watermelon
Cantaloupe
Berries
Less water filled but still great fruit…. I just limit myself to one serving and eat with a lower calorie meal
Apple
Banana
Sample Combos                                                                Approx calories
CIB/milk +toasted muffin+turkey bites                               350 cals
Babybel cheese+grapes+warm cinnabon bar+milk             325 cals                   
Waffle with SF syrup+ sausage patty+ milk                       300 cals
Toast+ Peanut butter+ apple                                            250 cals
Melted cheese slice on toast or muffin with ham                 280 cals

If I'm faced with a big breakfast, I know  it’s okay to have it, within reason. My best choices, if I decide to eat a little heavier, on a special occasion (Like a Saturday!), are:
Egg white omelet, or with egg beaters, and eat only half, or one egg over easy light on the grease. I like eggs but my personal favorite is oatmeal.
Canadian bacon (pref) or one slice bacon or one sausage link
One slice toast
If I eat a meat and egg  breakfast l go light on lunch, or if I  have it for brunch, I do a very  late lunch and skip supper except for cereal or a sandwich minus bread.  After a really hearty breakfast, I'm not usually hungry soon after anyway.


These are just my suggestions for breakfast. I have had many other healthy meals for breakfast that others don't consider a breakfast at all such as a ham or turkey sandwich. In fact, I may have that tomorrow! It's part of what helps me stick with it; not confining myself to the  traditional three meals a day and always having breakfast for breakfast. It feels good to me to know there are no foods in my fridge off limits at any time of day. If I want smoked salmon for breakfast so be it! 

By the way, I don't actually draw the bikini on the plate but now that I see it done that way, I kinda like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment