Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Out to Lunch, Out to Dinner

I am feeling very successful today! I had lunch in a restaurant alongside my co-workers who were having less healthy fare, and I didn't feel the least bit deprived! It felt so good to eat out and know that I succeeded in not feeling obligated to eat a double cheeseburger and fries. When I arrived home, my husband and I decided to eat out again, and I was triumphant again! I ordered my meal and asked for a to-go container right away. I parceled out half the meal for tomorrow, enjoyed half tonight, and it actually felt good!
Where did I get the idea that a satisfying meal meant gorging until my already huge pants were tight around the waist? What is satisfying about that? Why do we over- eaters eat as though every meal is a celebration? A feast? Our Last Supper? I am the Queen of "Let's Celebrate Every Little Thing With  A Huge Spread"! One appetizer? No Way! Let's have three! It's okay because I am starting my diet tomorrow. Oh, another reason to celebrate! Yaaay! Throw some chili and cheese on those fries . I'm going to be a size 6 in no time, once I get on my diet!
I realized today I truly, really and truly, am done with that mindset. I won't have "slip-ups" or "little set backs" ever again because they are no longer that; they are choices, and it's okay to make them. I have always told my kids "Life is full of choices".  Once again, I didn't listen to my own advice.
If I make sure that every food I choose is something I really want, then there is no need for guilt, or the promise of starting my diet tomorrow.
This feels great!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment